Saturday, May 18, 2013

I knew it was big, but I didn't know it was BIG

We had booked a private tour guide for our day in Pompei. It was worth it. She was so friendly and knowledgeable; and we weren't straining to hear her or having to fight with headsets and all that. I have to remember to give her an outstanding write-up on TripAdvisor.

The place itself was massive; much larger than I expected, even though a number of people I know who have visited Pompei say it's big, you just don't expect it to be that big. It's so well preserved, too, however most of the best frescoes and statues and whatnot have been removed to the Naples Archaeological museum. There are a few specimens of human remains in poses of absolute terror; and several frescoes that are still in excellent condition. It was all a little overwhelming, if I must say. The site is so big that everything just starts to run together. Our tour was 3 hours and by the time we were finished with Lucia, we were all “ruined out.” We had lunch at a surprisingly good place just outside the main gate to the site.

The afternoon was spent meandering through Villa Rufolo and among the small alleys of Ravello. Villa Rufolo dates back to the 13th century and has seen mulitple renovations in varying architectural styles. It has a very nicely done garden that spans several levels. The views are, of course, spectacular, but they're really no different from what we get at our hotel.

After Villa Rufolo, I sat in the main square of Ravello while the girls got their shop on. After about half an our or so I retired to my room at the Parsifal and I think I took a little nap.

We had a lovely dinner on the terrace here at the Parsifal. Angela had squid ink spaghetti served with stewed onions and some sort of cod-like fish bits. Michele and I had grilled white fish served with local tempura fried vegetables. My fish was amazing. Perfectly cooked and with great flavor with what I think was some lemon and olive oil.

I think we're going to try to do Capri again tomorrow. Antonio assures us that the weather will be good and that the boats will go. I think we'll have him call to make sure before we waste our time and money going down to Amalfi. I sure would like to sleep in one of these mornings, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment